Saturday, October 14, 2017

Steampunk Style

Continuing with the costume theme, let's look at some steampunk.

Let's get steamy! Er, wait, that didn't come out right...


Steampunk has an interesting aesthetic, and I'd really like to experiment with it some more ingame. For now, I've only put together two outfits, but I've taken enough pictures of them to justify a whole post, I think. So, let's begin.


This was the first one I put together. It was for a contest.
I'm not quite familiar enough with steampunk to put together an outfit without references, so I consulted my good friend google for some help. I tried to incorporate as many common elements as I could in this outfit.
Blouses, waistcoats, top hats, check. Goggles are, like...THE steampunk thing, but they're not available ingame, so I had to go with the less common round glasses. Fingerless gloves were common, but the game didn't have any in the right style, so I went with regular gloves that fit the aesthetic better. Pocket watches were very common too, so I included one in the only way the game allows- a necklace.
The big trunk bag was my own personal inclusion.
Fancy hair was another big thing, so I went with a nice ribbon curl side ponytail. I like how this hairstyle looks with these hats, too.
This is outfit #2. It includes a lot of the same items as the first one (the waistcoat, gloves, glasses, and pendant) but has a rather different feel overall, I think.
There are other similar elements, too- the hat and the bag. But while I used shorts in the first outfit, I went with a frilly skirt in this one (though I wish I'd used a different one). I also used some fishnets, which I saw in a lot of steampunk stuff.
For the hair this time I went with a curly side bun, and gave it some blonde highlights for extra fanciness (and to match the gold on the hat). I didn't really do anything special with the make-up in either case, just went with whatever matched the outfit.
I put both of these together for the same contest, but I believe I entered the first one because I liked it a bit better.

Several months later...


With Halloween coming up, and having deleted all of the previous pictures from both my ingame album and my Miiverse album, I naturally had to go and recreate them.
I didn't really change anything- I even copied the make-up from the older pictures.
I decided to take the pictures in the rose garden because...I dunno. I thought it fit the aesthetic, I guess. Better than any of the other choices, anyway.
And here's the last one. As an interesting sidenote, most of the items used in both outfits belong to the babydoll and gothic styles.


There's only so much I can do to recreate the steampunk look with the ingame clothes, but I DO plan on playing around with it some more. But for now, this is it.


No comments:

Post a Comment