Sunday, July 29, 2018

Designer Fever

I've got designer fever and that shouldn't surprise anyone by now. So now I'm going to show you the clothes I've designed in ACNL.


Let's start with the stuff I've designed as Levy.

So I started out with these pink shoes and didn't have anything that went with them, so I figured I'd design something that did. So pink dress, sleeveless because that's simpler, and I used a preset polka dot pattern. That seemed kinda boring, though. I figured I should try actually drawing something...I remembered how much Marzi likes peter pan collars, and thought hey, that's simple enough that I could probably manage it. So I included a peter pan collar at the top, and then added a little stripe around the waist since it still felt a little plain.

Not exactly great, but for my first design, I'm quite happy with how it turned out.
                                     
It doesn't quite match the shoes, but close enough.
The perfect accessory to go with this dress ;)
I was very happy when I discovered that you can pick flowers and then wear them in your hair.



For my second dress I wanted to kinda build on what I tried with the first, while still making something quite different. So I started by picking a different color scheme (blue instead of pink) and going with long sleeves instead of none. Then I went about my second attempt at the peter pan collar, making it smaller this time, as I felt the first one was too big and looked a bit bib-like. I also made the line around the waist thicker and added a bow on the back of it. I'd say I did a good job of improving on what I did in the first design.

Then I decided to add some new stuff. I put another stripe near the bottom of the dress, and then gave the sleeves some dark cuffs. And then I...tried to add some buttons to the chest area. It ended up looking more like a stitched design, but I thought it still looked nice, so I just went with it.

And thus, my second design was complete! I'm actually very happy with this one. Now that Kicks has opened and I'm not stuck with bright pink shoes anymore, I hope to get more use out of this dress.

This time around I took some pictures of the dress as I was designing it.
                   


Third design, third dress. I mean, I'd already made a sleeveless dress and a long sleeved one, so of course I had to do a short sleeved one next, right? Well, anyway, for this one I actually took some inspiration from Style Savvy! Specifically, the heart pattern for the designer t-shirts.

This design is a good example of a solid idea that was executed poorly. Honestly, the more I look at it, the more I don't like it. That attempt at a heart shape...ugh.
 
I wanna remake this one at some point and do a better job of it.
                           

         
Hey, it's not a dress this time! Yup, for my fourth design I decided to finally make something other than a dress, so I made a shirt. I tried to think of a simple, easy to draw shirt design, and thought of the Shirou Emiya shirt raglan design, and figured I'd go with that. I decided to go with a pastel color scheme and chose to use my favorite cotton candy colors. It was cute, but a bit boring, so I added some white details on the sleeves and near the bottom, and then scribbled a little logo on the front.

I'm actually super happy with how this one turned out!

Sometimes I remember to take pictures of the designs as I'm making them, sometimes I don't.
I've been getting a lot of use out of this one, as you can see.
                         

Oh, now we're back to dresses. So for this one I wanted to go with a kind of picnic blanket-esque design. And, um...somehow I ended up with this. I mean, I don't hate it. It's actually pretty cute.

See, the problem here is that I don't draw. So I have some good ideas, but don't really know how to execute them.
                           


This one here is actually my most recent design. I wasn't planning on designing something else yet, but I got a town initiative to design something, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I went with a tank top, since I hadn't done one of those yet. I ended up using some more of the preset designs since I didn't feel like spending forever trying to draw stuff at the time, haha. I think it looks pretty nice, but it's not something I see myself getting much use out of.

I appreciate the heart/star/ect. patterns, but I wish you could adjust their size. There's not really much I can do with this star shape since it's so huge.
On top of the Wario ones from earlier, I've also managed to obtain some regular groucho glasses. Yes.
                               


Now let's move on to Kiki's designs!

Just like with Levy, my first design as Kiki was made to go with the default shoes she started with, since Kicks still hadn't opened yet. So, purple and black. Not a color scheme I'd used yet, so cool! As for the design itself, uh...I was really just winging it, no plan. It took forever, but I'm super proud of this one. I don't know how I ended up with this design, but it actually turned out really cool!

Spoilers!
I love this leaf umbrella so much.
                           


Second design for Kiki and it's another dress, what a shock. Anyway, I've been spending a fair bit of time browsing the 'acnl design' tag on tumblr and being consistently amazed at what some people have been able to create. In fact, several of my designs have been inspired by stuff I've seen there, including this one. There was a specific one that inspired this, but I can't seem to find the post anymore :(

I think this one turned out really cute, aside from the bow on the back.

If I keep drawing bows, I'll get better at it...eventually...
I got some ballet shoes, which go quite well with this dress.
                           



Another short sleeved dress. I don't remember what inspired this one, but I'm really happy with how it turned out. The colors are really nice and it's got a somewhat jester-y look to it that I really enjoy.

                         


T-shirt time! After that last design, I wanted to make something else bright, and I also wanted to get some more use out of the polka dot pattern, so I picked a nice bright blue and this shirt was born. I didn't do much with this one, but I think it turned out nice regardless.

It's hard to see in these pictures, but the blue parts of the sleeves have tiny little white dots on them.
                           


Final design and it's another dress. Kicks finally opened up and I bought these amazing socks, but I didn't have anything to go with them, so it's design time! I made another attempt at the heart design and it still ended up a little janky, but it looks much better this time around. Aside from that it's a quite simple design, just some stripes at the bottom and on the sleeves, and that's it. I think it turned out nice, though, and I love this color scheme.





And that's all for now! Man, it took forever to get this post out.

4 comments:

  1. OMG sometimes I accidentally put flowers in my hair when I'm actually trying to place them on the ground. Drives me nuts.

    Lovely designs! Love the peter pan style collars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha, that's an adorable problem to have.

      Thanks! And of course you do, haha. I did have you in mind while drawing them, after all :P

      Delete
  2. I love looking at these! I've been busy farming up money by hunting beetles on the island, but today I finally made my first design in ACNL. It was inspired by StageDive's black and red leather vest + tie, and I added a cute pair of bat wings on the back. I'll take pictures sometime but I wish the game was more forgiving in allowing you to edit your design without it turning un-pro, there are some things I wanted to change in hindsight.

    The dual-colour dress reminds me of something from Retrobeat, hehe. And the white dress with the pink bow is super cute! I think your designs look great despite your mentioning being unable to draw. I do wish there were copy/paste/mirror tools as it would make some things a lot easier.

    Also leaf umbrella rocks. I bought it right away when I saw it on sale. I also like the maple leaf umbrella!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Ooh, that sounds super cool! I look forward to seeing it! And yeah, I REALLY wish I could make some edits to some of these.

      Yeah, there's actually pair of two-toned tights from Retrobeat with almost the exact same color scheme. I must have been inspired by those without even realizing it, haha! Aww, thanks. I like that dress a lot too, I just wish I could edit it and try to draw the bow a little better.

      Yeah, I've actually been consistently impressed by my own designs, considering my skill level, haha! I'm honestly very happy with the majority of them. I really only feel like one of them is a flop.

      Yeah, those would definitely help! So would being able to undo more than just the last action.

      Yessss, I love that thing. And there's a maple leaf one too? I haven't seen that one yet, but now I have something to look forward to!

      Delete